Breaking glasses can be frustrating and expensive. While Uptown Eye Care has a fabulous warranty* to take the worry out of glasses ownership, breaking your glasses is never a fun experience. Here are some tips to help you prevent your glasses from breaking!
1. Keep them in a case when they’re not on your face. It may seem like a no-brainer, but keeping your glasses in a case when you’re not wearing them is one of the surest ways you can prevent your frames or lenses from breaking. If you have a habit of misplacing your glasses case, buy several and keep them in areas where you are likely to put your glasses down (your desk, your nightstand, your bathroom sink). Glasses cases are much less expensive than the glasses themselves! On a related note, don’t keep your glasses on top of your head, either. Doing so will stretch the frames and cause them to break easier.
2. Check your seat before you sit. Many, many glasses breakages are a result of being sat on. Look before you sit on a couch, recliner, or vehicle seat, and you may save yourself from having to buy a new pair of frames.
3. Take them off; don’t pull them off. Pulling glasses off your face using one side of the frame can bend the frame and wear out the screws and hinges. Instead, you should take them off by pulling them at the nose bridge or using a hand on both sides of the frame to remove them.
4. Beat the heat and avoid the cold. Just as with other materials, extreme temperatures can weaken the frame and make it more susceptible to damage. Don’t leave your glasses in your car on hot summer days and cold winter nights.
5. Loose screws are not allowed! Keep a small screwdriver on hand and periodically tighten the screws on your frames to give your frames longer life. Bonus: keeping the screws tight also improves the fit of your glasses!
6. Change your frames to fit your game. If you workout often or play sports and must wear glasses while doing so, consider purchasing a pair of sports eyewear. These glasses are designed specifically for sports and protect your eyes as well as resist impact. If you don’t play sports but consistently break your glasses, look into frames made out of memory metal. These frames are made out of an alloy that can be bent and twisted but pop back into shape! Talk to your eye doctor about these options if you are interested.
*At Uptown Eye Care, all designer eyeglass frames have a 2 year, one time replacement warranty due to manufacturer’s defects included with the purchase price. Our skilled opticians are available to handle your returns, warranties, re-insertion of lenses and custom fitting at no additional charge. » Learn more here.
Uptown Eye Care will always help keep your new eyeglasses clean, fitting properly, and feeling like new at no charge for as long as you own them. All you have to do is stop in.