Minnesota Optometric Association: The mission of the profession of optometry is to fulfill the vision and eyecare needs of the public through clinical care, research, and education, all of which enhance the quality of life.
Established in 1900, the Minnesota Optometric Association (MOA) was founded as a place where optometrists could come together to further their professional knowledge and, advance and improve the primary eyecare that patients receive throughout Minnesota.
Uptown Eye Care is proud to be a longstanding member of the Minnesota Optometric Association. Over the years Uptown Eye Care has received several awards. Noteworthy awards include:
- Dr. Jonathan Schorn, O.D. is the Minnesota Optometric Association president-elect and will take office in 2013.
- Dr. Mary Gregory, O.D. was awarded Young Optometrist of the Year, 2007.
- Dr. Mary Gregory, O.D. is on the board of trustees and is on the Children’s Vision Committee.
- Dr. Gregory, O.D. has taken several trips to Washington DC to meet with lobbyists on behalf of the Minnesota Optometric Association.
- Our optical manager, Larae Fischer, is a trustee of the Paraoptometric Section. She assists in scheduling continuing education classes to keep MN paraoptometrics up-to-date in all areas of the optometric field.
The Minnesota Optometric Association is part of the American Optometric Association (AOA). The American Optometric Association represents approximately 36,000 doctors of optometry, optometry students and paraoptometric assistants and technicians. Optometrists serve patients in nearly 6,500 communities across the country, and in 3,500 of those communities are the only eye doctors. Doctors of optometry provide two-thirds of all primary eye care in the United States.
Founded in 1898, the AOA is a federation of state, student and armed forces optometric associations. Through these affiliations, the AOA serves members consisting of optometrists, students of optometry, paraoptometric assistants and technicians.
Together, the AOA and its affiliates work to provide the public with quality vision and eye care. Through offices in St. Louis, Missouri, and metropolitan Washington, D.C., the AOA:
- Sets professional standards, helping its members conduct patient care efficiently and effectively
- Lobbies government and other organizations on behalf of the optometric profession
- Provides research and education leadership
Uptown Eye Care values the importance of these organizations and is proud to operate as MOA and AOA members.
To learn more about these organizations visit:
Minnesota Optometric Association: http://minnesota.aoa.org
American Optometric Association: http://www.aoa.org